Cooking is considered an art, but it is also a science. While instincts and experimentation can land you with fantastic dishes, they are usually supported by a reliable basic recipe. To get a recipe right, it is essential to have a measuring tool for your ingredients.
It will surprise you how much difference a spoonful more or less makes. There are usually two ways of weighing food – the measuring cups or the weighing scales. While measuring cups are a good old school device, kitchen weighing scales are its improved version.
In this article, we’ve noted down all you need to know about measuring cups and weighing scales – the pros and cons, uses, and the features you need to look out for. Keep on reading for the details.
Table of Contents
How to use Measuring Cups and Kitchen Scale?
Measuring cups consist of spoons or jugs with a scale at the side to measure the volume of food. They measure in liters or fluid ounces. All you have to do is put the ingredient inside the jug and measure its volume on the scale.
The kitchen weighing scales consist of a platform with an LCD screen. When you put your food on top of the platform, you can see its weight in grams or pounds. Usually, most scales will have the feature to convert the system of measurement from imperial to metric and vice-versa.
Measuring Cups VS Kitchen Weighing Scale
Measuring cups have been used for decades in homes all over the world. But professionals, as well as amateurs, are now preferring the kitchen scales. There are a few advantages of a kitchen scale over measuring cups.
- Accuracy: Dry ingredients such as flour are notoriously hard to measure in a measuring cup. If you push in the parts into the container, you can get much more flour with the same volume.
- Less mess: The digital kitchen scales can go back to zero every time you add an ingredient. So you do not have to use extra utensils; one bowl is enough.
- Time-saver: Since you do not have to switch to different utensils mid-way for every new ingredient, you can save so much time. Next time you wake up late, you do not have to skip your breakfast. Get everything done in a jiffy!
- Unit of measurement: Measuring cups use the volumetric unit of measurement while kitchen scales measure by weight. Since most recipes require solid ingredients, measuring by weight will be more convenient.
- Consistency: The sizes of the measuring spoons and cups vary by different brands. As there isn’t a standardized size, the quantities you get won’t be consistent. But with a kitchen weighing scale, the amount will always remain precise and homogenous.
- Affordable: You can get a kitchen scale in every price range. The excellent quality scales are available at very modest prices. It is only a small purchase to make and one that will last you for years to come. On the other hand, high-grade measuring cups are made of stainless steel, so they are more expensive.
What to Look for in a Kitchen Scale?
So, we have convinced you to make the purchase, but you don’t know which one to buy and what features to look for. The gazillions of kitchen scales online will make you even more confused. Before you purchase anything, go through this checklist to make sure you pick up the ideal kitchen scale. Below are some of the features you need in the right kitchen scale:
- Precision: A big draw for the kitchen scale over the measuring cups is the accurate readings. So, be confident that the scale makes no calculation error. If you are ordering it online, check it well before the return period ends.
- Easy to use: The controls should not be difficult to use. It should be smooth and straightforward to operate. Keep in mind that a kitchen scale is a tool to make cooking more efficient, not confusing. Food can be stressful work, especially when cooking for loads of people or as a professional. A complex setup will hinder you during these situations and not help as was intended.
- Easy to clean: Any nook or cranny that is hard to reach will become a nuisance. The design should be well thought out to be easy to clean. A kitchen scale is a digital device and so needs to be kept neat and tidy. Otherwise, it will start malfunctioning when dirt collects on the scale. You should be able to remove the platform on the kitchen scale, and it is a bonus if it is spill-proof.
- Hardy: Since the kitchen scale will be used for weighing stuff ranging up to 5 kg, it needs to be durable enough. Also, falls and drops often happen in the cooking scene. The scale should be able to survive a few accidents.
- Weighing capacity: Generally, kitchen scales can weigh food up to 5 kilograms. If you will weigh heavier ingredients such as meat, look for higher measuring capacity.
- Tare feature: The Tare function allows you to reset the scale back to zero after you add every new ingredient. If you have a load of dirty utensils or abhor dishwashing, this nifty little feature will come in handy. Only one utensil is needed most of the time. A great boon for us lazy bums!
Now that you have read up on the essential features required for a kitchen weighing scale, you can make an informed decision. Here are some recommendations we have compiled for you. 10 Best Kitchen Weighing Scales in India
Over to you
If you’re planning to take up cooking seriously or want to decrease your time in the kitchen, invest in a kitchen weighing scale. It is an affordable buy that will make your life much more comfortable. Save your hard-earned cash and buy one during the upcoming sale season. Happy shopping!