It has happened to all of us – we buy some souvenirs on tour for our friends and family back home and end up with excess baggage fees at the airport. Or at times, we pack a few more outfits for that perfect holiday but live to regret it. We don’t realise how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement of a trip and either underestimate or overestimate as to how heavy our luggage is. In the case of the former, we curse ourselves for overpacking, but in the case of the latter, we regret not bringing a few more necessities with us.
Next time, save yourself from headaches and purchase a Luggage Scale before your trip. In this article, we tell you all you need to know about luggage scales and address the frequently asked questions about this gadget– what is a luggage scale? How to use a luggage scale? What to look for in a luggage scale?
WHAT IS A LUGGAGE SCALE?
Quite simply, it is a scale to weigh your luggage. Pretty self-explanatory, right? But why buy one when you have a perfectly good weighing scale at home, you may ask? Well, it has a few advantages over your bathroom weighing scale. Such as –
- Portability: Most digital luggage scales are small and light nowadays, unlike the body weighing scale, which is big and bulky. So, you can bring them along with you on your trip. With the body weighing scale, you can only measure the weight of your luggage when you are packing at home. But with a portable luggage scale, you can weigh your luggage anywhere in the world.
- Less stress: Travelling is lovely but comes with its share of pressure. Booking tickets, taking care of the accommodation, planning your itinerary, and packing. With a luggage scale, you can at least cross off the stress of excess baggage from your mental checklist. Excess baggage fees cost a pretty penny, and a handy little tool can end up saving you a fortune!
- Affordability: A luggage scale isn’t an extravagant purchase or an investment. Good quality ones are available at throw-away prices at big online retailers such as Amazon.
- Accuracy: A digital luggage scale is much more precise in its measurements than an analog scale. And if you are traveling by air, you will need to follow its strict check-in luggage weight requirements. Sometimes they will excuse a few extra pounds, but it is better to be safe than sorry!
HOW TO USE A LUGGAGE SCALE?
A luggage scale comprises a hook or strap attached and a handle where you get the readings. All you have to do is hook or strap your luggage bag and lift it. Make sure that the bag doesn’t touch the ground. Stand on a higher platform if needed. You can take the help of a stronger friend if your luggage is too heavy for you to lift.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A LUGGAGE SCALE?
Before buying your gadget, make sure you know all you need to know. These are the necessary features you need to look out for. Check the details of a luggage scale carefully and test it several times before keeping it. Make sure you the best bang for your buck!
- Capacity: Check for the weighing capacity of a luggage scale. Most digital luggage scales have the upper limit of about 50 Kilograms, which should be enough for most trips. But if you are planning to transport massive baggage, invest in a luggage scale with a higher weighing capacity.
- Accuracy: This goes without saying, but make sure you aren’t getting a scale that gives faulty readings. Double-check the readings of the luggage scale before you buy it.
- Lightweight: One of the essential features of a luggage scale is its portability. Be sure that the scale is light enough to carry and doesn’t add to your baggage instead.
- LCD: The handle of the luggage scale has an LCD screen where you can read the weight and the battery percentage. The numbers should appear clear and understandable. A backlit feature is a bonus.
- Durability: The luggage scale should be made of sturdy and robust materials. You will weigh heavy luggage on it so the hook/strap and handle should be of good quality. Since it will also probably go along with you on your travels, the scale should be able to take a few knocks and falls.
- Measurement system: Check the measurement system on the luggage scale- imperial or metric. You should ideally be able to change the scale from pounds to kilograms. This Feature comes in handy for your travels abroad.
There are a few extra features, such as a low-battery and overweight indicator that beeps and alerts you. Some scales can automatically shut off after some time to conserve battery. If these features interest you, check for it on your luggage scale’s specifications.
We have already done the tiresome task of researching for the best luggage scales and compiled it for you! Here it is if you want to check it out.
I hope this article helped you with your luggage scales – how to use it, what features to look for, and the merits of buying one. Spend a few bucks on a luggage scale and don’t get any unwanted surprises the next time you are at the airport. If you are a frequent flier or someone who loves to pick up trinkets on trips, this nifty little device can help you save cash. It is also a nice tool for anyone to have as we never know when we might need it. Affordable, reliable, and compact – a trusty companion on your holidays!